Friday, August 29, 2008

No More LYE


I have learned a great deal about myself this past year since I became natural. Letting go of the weekly hair appointments at the salon has liberated me in sooo... many different ways. It has freed up many hours and a WHOLE lot of money. I have become reacquainted with who the real Kim is all over again. Initially, it was a little scary because I am 32 years of age and I had no idea what my natural hair looked like and how to care for it. I had not laid eyes on my natural hair in 20 years! But luckily with the internet and various natural hair books, I quickly learned how to care for my beautiful hair. I look at my hair now and wonder why on earth did we as Black women ever look at our hair as being ugly and why did we feel the need to chemically alter our hair texture. I mean, we have the most versatile hair on this planet-we can do almost anything and any style with our crown and glory. We can plait, twist, braid, rollerset, wear it straight, wavy, curly, etc. the list goes on and on.


I initially, became natural for my daughter who is now 2 years of age. I did not want to give her the same unspoken message that was given to me. I did not want to give her the message that her natural hair was not beautiful and to be accepted, she had to conform by relaxing her tresses. I also decided to become natural because I try to live my life as natural and holistically as possible- i buy and create natural products and I consume organic foods so I felt as though I was being a hypocrite because I was risking my health by relaxing my hair.


Becoming natural is a very personal decision and I do not condemn anyone for relaxing their hair. I just want to share my journey into becoming as natural and pure as humanly possible in a world where we are bombarded with a barrage of unnatural and toxic EVERYTHING!

No comments: